So I have been doing the Paleo diet successfully, but have struggled with eliminating corn and wheat tortillas for wraps! I have been searching for an alternative other than just using lettuce. I stumbled upon this recipe and am planning to try it out this week —-I’ll keep you posted on the outcome. You may remember what plantains are from the infamous episode of “Little Bill”–Season 4, episode 2—Little Bill learns about trying new foods!!! Maybe we could all use a lesson in that!!! YES—it is gluten-free!
3 large or 4 small yellow plantains, about 2-2.5 pounds
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Peel and chop your plantains and place in a food processor.
- Puree until somewhat pureed, and then add the melted coconut oil or lard, egg whites, salt and lime juice.
- Puree until smooth.
- Drop about 2 tablespoons at a time onto a baking sheet lined with a lightly greased sheet of parchment paper
- Smooth into a circle with the bottom of a ladle, getting as thin as possible
- Bake for 15 minutes, until dry to the touch, and just starting to brown on the edges.
For more great recipes using plantains—like a great one for grilled plantains:
Plátanos Maduros a la Parrilla