Why are they even in the healthy stuff like yogurt???
A big shout out to one of my dear patients that recently shared her recipe with me for homemade yogurt! She is taking her gut bacteria seriously and is in fabulous health!! I love it! I was hesitant to try it and intimidated by the instructions in my probiotic handouts. It just seemed a little overwhelming and too domesticated for me. But it actually wasn’t bad at all!!
- Sterilize a glass bottle in boiling water —I use mason jars (the small jelly kind are my favorites–you can get them pretty cheap at Meijer or even find them really cheap at Goodwill)
- Take 8 cups (approx 2L) of organic milk (I love Trader’s Point Creamery) and bring it almost to a boil on the stove. You can use goat milk but the texture is much more runny.
- Add sugar to taste (about 3-4 tbsp/2L of milk)
- Let it cool down to 37 degrees C —ie warm to touch but not burning
- Gradually add the starter 1:7 -1:10 and mix well-you can purchase a starter or buy a high quality plain yogurt with live active cultures from the store— add a little milk to the starter to give it a little fluid
- Pour into clean bottles
- Put them in the oven with a 40 watt bulb for 6-8 hours (use paper to block direct light onto the milk)
- After 6 hours— the milk will solidify and be ready to stick in the fridge or eat. (It will keep 1-2 weeks)
AND WOWZA–you just made cheap high quality yogurt without all of the artificial sweeteners, dyes, and hefty price!! Watch out Martha Stewart!
2 Responses to Homemade Yogurt –get those probiotics!