With the scare of COVID here in the USA now, I wanted to post a little info about boosting immunity to prevent contracting the virus. Here are some important facts about Covid-19
- It is spread by contact with respiratory droplets within 3-6 feet.
- One person usually infects 2-3 others
- Symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath
- It can progress to pneumonia and about 30% of patients that are hospitalized may require ICU care
- Incubation period is 2-14 days but averages about 5 days
- The current case fatality rates is unknown still but is approximately 2.3-2.8%. This is lower than SARS/MERS but slightly higher than the seasonal influenza (0.02-0.05%)
- Seasonal flu usually causes 30-80 million cases and 30,000 deaths in the US alone per year
Here are some supplements that you can find at your local pharmacy or health food store that you can take daily to boost immunity
N-acetyl cystine (600mg twice daily)
Zinc (40mg daily)
Liposomal Vitamin C (1000mg daily)
Here is my usual recommendation to start the second you start feeling like you may be coming down with a bug (Like when you first feel that scratch in your throat and think “Am I getting sick?”)
- Continue all the supplements above but change the vitamin C recommendation to 1000mg every 2 hours while awake. Remember that the limiting factor with Vitamin C is that too much can give you diarrhea so if you get that, start backing off on the dose. I wouldn’t take more that 1000mg at a time to get maximum absorption. Because Vitamin C is water soluble, you really can’t overdose yourself.
- Ramp up your intake of probiotics– so double or triple your current dose.
- Drink some bone broth (I love Kettle and Fire brand)
- Lastly, I like to add 4 drops of Biocidin (herbal antiviral that contains 90% polyphenols, black walnut hull and leaf, multiple oils including raspberry, galbanum, lavender, and oregano oil) twice daily
I order all my supplements from Fullscript which is an online supplement company that ships directly to you. The guarantee that the products are stored correctly/not expired or counterfeit. They also encourage brands to undergo third party certification programs to ensure safety. You can use this LINK to create an account. You can also probably find most supplements other than the Biocidin at your local health food store. (Fresh Thyme carries most). I have found Biocidin available on Amazon as well.
Lastly, Click this LINK to see where confirmed Covid cases are located along with the recovered cases and deaths.
I hope this information is useful and remember that boosting your immunity by eating a healthy diet, getting plenty of sleep, exercise, and sunlight is your best defense at this time. Lastly, the most important step of all to protect yourself above all others WASH YOUR HANDS!!! Remember to sing the “Happy Birthday” song and not stop until you are done singing (hopefully silently or people may think you are Nuts!)